What if at first my spouse and I agree, but then it becomes contested?

Modified on 26 Sep 2016 at 2:50 pm

We know that reaching agreements with your spouse may not always come to fruition in the end. The good news is that you can still use your LegalVorce materials to begin the divorce process. The petition and the answer filed by the responding spouse can be used regardless of whether you ultimately agree with your spouse or not. You and your spouse can also use the Marital Settlement Agreement and the Decree form as your guide to see what issues are really in dispute and what issues are not. Focusing on the issues that are really in dispute will make the process much easier, and cheaper, than when the parties are just fighting to be fighting. If you can’t reach a final agreement on the Marital Settlement Agreement or the Divorce Decree, then we recommend you consider using the LegalVorce materials as a guide and working with a mediator or collaborative law attorney to help you and your spouse reach an amicable resolution. Even if you have to go to the judge about areas you cannot agree upon, the judge will want to know specifically what are the areas of dispute so the judge can make best use of the court’s time by zeroing in on just on those issues. Your LegalVorce materials can help you do that.