What if I can’t locate my spouse?

Modified on 28 Feb 2017 at 11:12 am

You may want to contact a lawyer under these circumstances. You can still use the LegalVorce platform to create your petition, a proposed Marital Settlement Agreement and a proposed decree. The courts, however, will want you to show that you have tried to locate your spouse. Most likely, you will need to seek permission to serve your spouse via publication, which usually means posting notice in the local newspaper for a certain period of time. After the court is satisfied that you have provided “service by publication,” the court may grant you a divorce by default judgment. Service by publication and default divorce forms are not included in the LegalVorce package.